Designing a matrix library for D

David Bregman via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 23 20:04:53 PDT 2014

Have you looked at armadillo for inspiration?
http://arma.sourceforge.net/

It's a C++ matrix/linear algebra library which has:
-expression templates for high level optimizations (could be done
even better in D of course, moving more stuff to compile time)
-high performance via lapack/blas
-deliberately matlab-like syntax which is appealing to a large
subset of people who would use such a library

I think this approach would also be good for D, at least if the
idea is to target numeric computing people. I am skeptical about
making the library too generic, since performance is typically a
primary concern for matrix code. I didn't read the linked paper,
but the performance quoted in the abstract "comparable (from 48%
to 100%) to that of lower-level Java programs" sounds pretty
underwhelming.