std.math performance (SSE vs. real)

Element 126 via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 27 06:24:22 PDT 2014

]
>>> I understand why the current situation exists. In 2000 x87 was
>>> the standard and the 80bit precision came for free.
>>
>> Real programmers have been using 128-bit floating point for decades. All
>> this namby-pamby 80-bit stuff is just an aberration and should never
>> have happened.
>
> what consumer hardware and compiler supports 128-bit floating points?

I noticed that std.math mentions partial support for big endian non-IEEE
doubledouble. I first thought that it was a software implemetation like
the QD library [1][2][3], but I could not find how to use it on x86_64.
It looks like it is only available for the PowerPC architecture.
Does anyone know about it ?

[1] http://crd-legacy.lbl.gov/~dhbailey/mpdist/
[2]
http://web.mit.edu/tabbott/Public/quaddouble-debian/qd-2.3.4-old/docs/qd.pdf