std.math performance (SSE vs. real)

Kai Nacke via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 27 07:50:12 PDT 2014

On Friday, 27 June 2014 at 13:50:29 UTC, Iain Buclaw via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 27 June 2014 14:24, Element 126 via Digitalmars-d
> <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

>>> what consumer hardware and compiler supports 128-bit floating
>>> points?
>>>

>> I noticed that std.math mentions partial support for big
>> endian non-IEEE
>> doubledouble. I first thought that it was a software
>> implemetation like the
>> QD library [1][2][3], but I could not find how to use it on
>> x86_64.
>> It looks like it is only available for the PowerPC
>> architecture.
>> Does anyone know about it ?
>>

> We only support native types in std.math.  And partial support
> is
> saying more than what there actually is. :-)

The doubledouble type is available for PowerPC. In fact, I try to
use this for my PowerPC64 port of LDC. The partial support here
is a bit annoying but I did not find the time to implement the
missing functions myself.

It is "native" in the sense that it is a supported type by gcc
and xlc.

Regards,
Kai