Bounty Increase on Issue #1325927

Etienne via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 27 09:06:23 PDT 2014

On 2014-06-27 5:53 AM, safety0ff wrote:
> Perhaps the bounty won't stimulate anybody who doesn't have other
> motivations to improve the situation, but more information about the
> scope of the issue would be helpful to both backers and potential
> claimants.

 From what I've seen writing an ASN.1 compiler with D is, sometimes you
just don't know if some part of the tree structure generated from the
ctfe is referenced anywhere else (which is somewhat possible to track
with reference counts). The garbage collector solves a potential 500+
hours of work making tree structures referentially self-aware.

My guess is that the compiler doesn't know if parts of the CTFE function
will be used at runtime, no matter how obvious it is that it won't,
there's just no information kept lying around about it and it gets
confused with the tree structures used and sent to the backend for the
runtime routines.