A Perspective on D from game industry

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 27 12:36:08 PDT 2014

On 6/26/2014 10:10 PM, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 09:16:27PM -0400, Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> [...]
>> Aye. Sometimes in embedded work, you're *lucky* if you can even do
>> printf at all, let alone a debugger. I've had to debug with as little
>> as one LED.  It's...umm..."interesting". And time consuming.
>> Especially when it's ASM.  (But somewhat of a proud-yet-twisted rite
>> of passage though ;) )
>
> Reminds me of time I hacked an old Apple II game's copy protection by
> using a disk editor and writing in the instruction opcodes directly. :-)

Cool. I once tried to hack a game I'd bought to change/remove the part
where it took my name directly from the payment method and displayed
that it was registered to "Nicolas" instead of "Nick" in big bold
letters on the title screen. I didn't quite get that adjusted, but I did
wind up with a tool (in D) to pack/unpack the game's resource file format.