std.math performance (SSE vs. real)

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jun 28 03:57:52 PDT 2014

On Sat, 2014-06-28 at 03:42 -0700, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> On 6/28/2014 2:47 AM, francesco cattoglio wrote:
> > When you need accuracy, 999 times out of 1000 you change the numerical
> > technique, you don't just blindly upgrade the precision.
>
> I have experience doing numerical work? Upgrading the precision is the first
> thing people try.

Nonetheless, algorithm and expression of algorithm are often more
important. As proven by my Pi_Quadrature examples you can appear to have
better results with greater precision, but actually the way the code
operates is actually the core problem: the code I have written does not
do things in the best way to achieve the best result as a given accuracy
level..

[…]

> Errors accumulate very rapidly and easily overwhelm the significance of the answer.

I wonder if programmers should only be allowed to use floating point
number sin their code if they have studied numerical analysis?

> > Especially the numerical analysts themselves will pay that price. 64 bit HAS to
> > be as fast as possible, if you want to be competitive when it comes to any kind
> > of numerical work.
>
> Getting the wrong answer quickly is not useful when you're calculating the
> stress levels in a part.

[…]
> Again, I've done numerical programming in airframe design. The correct answer is
> what matters. You can accept wrong answers in graphics display algorithms, but
> not when designing critical parts.

Or indeed when calculating anything to do with money.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk