std.math performance (SSE vs. real)

John Colvin via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jun 28 07:15:35 PDT 2014

On Saturday, 28 June 2014 at 14:01:13 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 6/28/14, 3:42 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
>> Inverting matrices is commonplace for solving N equations with
>> unknowns.
>
> Actually nobody does that.
>
> Also, one consideration is that the focus of numeric work
> changes with time; nowadays it's all about machine learning

It's the most actively publicised frontier, perhaps, but there's
a huge amount of solid work happening elsewhere. People still
need better fluid, molecular dynamics etc. simulations, numerical
PDE solvers, finite element modelling and so on. There's a whole
world out there :)

That doesn't diminish your main point though.

> For better or worse modern computing units have focused on 32-
> and 64-bit float, leaving 80-bit floats neglected. I think it's
> time to accept that simple fact and act on it, instead of
> claiming we're the best in the world at FP math while everybody
> else speeds by.
>

> Andrei

+1