std.math performance (SSE vs. real)

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jun 29 14:45:03 PDT 2014

Hopefully there are points here for pedantry and bloody mindedness…

On Sat, 2014-06-28 at 18:32 -0700, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
[…]
> Keep in mind that D is a systems programming language, and that
implies you get
> access to the hardware types.

On Sun, 2014-06-29 at 12:22 -0700, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
[…].

> That is not  true with D. D specifies that float and double are IEEE 754 types
> which have specified size and behavior. D's real type is the largest the
> underlying hardware will support.
>
> D also specifies 'int' is 32 bits, 'long' is 64, and 'byte' is 8, 'short' is 16.

D gives access to the hardware types, and D defines the structure of all
those types. The only resolution is that D only works on that hardware
where the hardware types are the ones D defines. Thus D only works on a
subset of hardware, and can never be ported to hardware where the
hardware types differ from those defined by D.

So D float and double will not work on IBM 360 unless interpreted, and
real would be 128-bit (not IEEE)?

The D real type definitely suffers the C/C++ float and double problem!

I guess we just hope that all future hardware is IEEE754 compliant.

(This is both a trivial issue and a brick wall issue so let's keep thing
humour-ful!)
--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk