D, Dub and distributions

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Mon Mar 3 06:35:56 PST 2014

On Mon, 2014-03-03 at 13:16 +0000, Francesco Cattoglio wrote:
> On Sunday, 2 March 2014 at 18:55:46 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> > Waf is packaged by Fedora but not Debian.
>
> On a completely unrelated side note: Waf is NOT supposed to be
> packaged at all. Being distributed along with the sources is part
> of the design.

That is indeed one mode of use, but not the only one.

For example I only update the Waf instance in a project for a project
release (ignoring any intermediate Waf releases) but I use Waf Git
master day to day so as to ensure the Waf files work with the latest
Waf.

(For those unfamiliar: Waf is a Python implemented build system
originally based on SCons but now very different from SCons. To have the
build depend only on the presence of Python and nothing else, Waf and
SCons allow for the entire build system to be shipped with a project.
Waf does this far better than SCons. Gradle has a different approach
with it's wrappers. NB build is fun.)

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk