OT: clang guys postet MSVC compatibility info

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Mon Mar 3 07:10:01 PST 2014

On 03.03.2014 13:51, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Sun, 2014-03-02 at 21:12 +0000, Asman01 wrote:
> […]
>> Microsoft has a lot of programming languages targeting(some
>> designed by Microsoft itself) .NET/CLR[1]. It includes even a C++
>> and Python version so-called C++/CLI and IronPhyton,
>> respectively. I've hear about C++/CLI and (a F# compiler, IIRC)
>> by clang guys. Not sure if there's more.
>
> Microsoft used to provide some support for IronPython and IronRuby, but
> stopped. Whilst both of these languages still target CLR for Windows
> users, Microsoft has cut them adrift and no longer consider them
> mainstream.
>
> This is very stupid of Microsoft.

They fully support Python in Visual Studio.

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/OneOfMicrosoftsBestKeptSecretsPythonToolsForVisualStudioPTVS.aspx

https://pytools.codeplex.com/

Just decided not to invest into IronPython/IronRuby the same way Sun
decided not to invest in JRuby. Very few developers really cared about
those implementations.

--
Paulo