Our hackernews presence

Brad Anderson eco at gnuk.net
Tue Mar 4 13:30:32 PST 2014

On Tuesday, 4 March 2014 at 21:12:00 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:

>> Apparently this post didn't get deleted, right? But it clearly
>> didn't make it to
>> the big leagues, I see it in position 205 now.
>
> That one got marked as 'dead' too.
>
> Hackernews is mostly a Go site. I'd be very surprised if they
> deleted a Go conference announcement.

Hacker News goes through language phases. Ruby, CoffeeScript,
Scala, Clojure, Haskell, and now Go have all had turns being the
darling language by the Hacker News community. It lasts a few
months then people get bored and move on to the next thing. D may
get a turn, it may not. They are a very fickle community. When Go
was first announced it was almost universally panned on Hacker
News.

Power users on Hacker News have more power than they probably
should (often doing things like changing headlines to be less
helpful but more cool sounding). If a post gets 10 "flags" before
it gets 10 upvotes it'll be killed.

Anyway, there's my little rant about Hacker News. I still go
there daily :)