Philosophy of how OS API imports are laid out in druntime

Regan Heath regan at netmail.co.nz
Thu Mar 6 06:37:53 PST 2014

On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 11:17:36 -0000, Kagamin <spam at here.lot> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 5 March 2014 at 17:16:34 UTC, Regan Heath wrote:
>> It seems this will satisfy Walter without impacting Sean..
>
> As I understand, the idea is that Sean get little trying to fix posix
> standard: the only way to check if the code works on some platform is to
> compile and test it on that platform and posix standard doesn't change
> that. So various platforms ended up adding new functions to posix
> headers. Having straightforward translations of headers takes less
> thinking and probably helps migrate from C and doesn't change posix
> compliance of the headers - it remains conventional.

Sure.

The core.sys.<platform>.* modules are/will be straight translations.

Walter wants additional core.* and core.sys.* modules which map to
core.sys.<platform>.* as appropriate.

Sean wants/uses core.sys.posix.* modules, which are maintained by someone
and only contain posix definitions for all platforms.

Iain wants to be able to split a single platform easily from the rest;
taking core.* core.sys.* and core.sys.<platform>.*.

Right?