Major performance problem with std.array.front()

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Thu Mar 6 20:11:06 PST 2014

What about this?:

Anywhere we currently have a front() that decodes, such as your example:

>    @property dchar front(T)(T[] a) @safe pure if (isNarrowString!(T[]))
>    {
>      assert(a.length, "Attempting to fetch the front of an empty array
> of " ~
>             T.stringof);
>      size_t i = 0;
>      return decode(a, i);
>    }

We rip out that front() entirely. The result is *not* technically a
range...yet! We could call it a protorange.

Then we provide two functions:

auto decode(someStringProtoRange) {...}
auto raw(someStringProtoRange) {...}

These convert the protoranges into actual ranges by adding the missing
front() function. The 'decode' adds a front() which decodes into dchar,
while the 'raw' adds a front() which simply returns the raw underlying type.

I imagine the decode/raw would probably also handle any "length"
property (if it exists in the protorange) accordingly.

This way, the user is forced to specify "myStringRange.decode" or
"myStringRange.raw" as appropriate, otherwise myStringRange can't be
used since it isn't technically a range, only a protorange.

(Naturally, ranges of dchar would always have front, since no decoding
is ever needed for them anyway. For these ranges, the decode/raw funcs
above would simply be no-ops.)