Major performance problem with std.array.front()

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Fri Mar 7 11:19:16 PST 2014

On 3/7/2014 7:24 AM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> But you can't inline asm function,

I intend to fix that for dmd, but haven't had the time.

> and checking the overflow flag needs asm. (or a compiler intrinsic.)

For that, I was thinking of having the compiler recognize one of the common
coding patterns for detecting overflow, and then generating efficient overflow
checks. Then documenting the pattern as being specially detected.

This means the code will still be successful for compilers that don't detect the
pattern, and no language changes would be required.