Major performance problem with std.array.front()

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 11:43:51 PST 2014

07-Mar-2014 14:41, Walter Bright пишет:
> On 3/7/2014 2:27 AM, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
>> Where have you been when it was introduced? :)
>
> It slipped by me. What can I say? I'm not the only committer :-)
>
> But after spending non-trivial time suffering as auto-decode blasted my
> kingdom, I've concluded that it needs to die.
> Working around it is not
> easy.

That seems to be the biggest problem, it's an overriding default that is
very hard to "turn off" and retain nice and clear generic view of stuff.

> I know that auto-decode has negatively impacted your regex, too.

No, technically, I knew what I was doing and that decode call was
explicit. It's just turned out to set a bar on a minimum time budget to
do X with a string, and it's too high.

What really got nasty is multiple re-decoding of the same piece as
engine backtracks to try earlier alternatives.

--
Dmitry Olshansky