Remember that Go vs D MQTT thing and how we wondered about dmd vs gdc?

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Fri Mar 7 13:20:35 PST 2014

On 07/03/14 10:15, John Colvin wrote:
> Having said that, I've been getting similar results from gdc and dmd recently
> too, with ldc coming out as a very clear winner.

Yup, this has been my experience for a while now too.  I don't know what changed
in the LLVM backend (or LDC's exploitation of its features) but LDC is clearly
ahead in its ability to optimize D code.

That said, the main place where DMD lags AFAICS is number-crunching.  Other
stuff, probably not so much; and at least in my own benchmarks of various bits
of code, there are occasional surprises where some particular case seems to run
faster when compiled with DMD.