Major performance problem with std.array.front()

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Fri Mar 7 17:18:42 PST 2014

On Saturday, 8 March 2014 at 00:22:05 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> We should think about a way to have our cake and eat it, too.

I think a good place to start would be to have a draft
implementation of the proposal. This will allow people to try it
with their projects and see how much code it will really affect.
As I mentioned here[1], I suspect that certain valid code that
used the range primitives will continue to work unaffected even
after a sudden switch, so perhaps the "deprecation" and "error"
stage can be replaced with a longer "warning" stage instead.

This is similar to how git changed the meaning of the "push"
command: it just nagged users for a long time, and included the
instructions to switch to the new behavior early (thus squelching
the warning) or permanently accepting the old behavior. (For our
case it is adding .representation or .byCodepoint depending on
the intent.)

[1]:
http://forum.dlang.org/post/dlpmchtaqzrxxylpmiwh@forum.dlang.org