Status of multidimensional slicing

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Fri Mar 7 17:28:03 PST 2014

On 3/7/2014 2:30 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> I'm a bit sad that Walter is pushing for a large breaking change to D
> string handling, while Kenji's pull, which is a non-breaking enhancement
> that would lead to much better D support for many numerical computation
> applications, has been stagnating for at least a year (probably more).

You expressed this as if there's actual correlation or causation between
the two when it's highly unlikely any exists.  He's doing exactly what
many many others do: express concern about a problem encountered during
recent use of some aspect of the D ecosystem.

It's an unfortunate but true aspect of the rate of D development
combined with the relative small community: old pull's get lost in the
noise.  For pulls to get attention, the author or proponents of a pull
need to keep it alive.  The rate of application of pulls (regardless of
age) isn't bad, but when combined with the influx rate of new pull
requests it's just not high enough to get the backlog gone.