Major performance problem with std.array.front()

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Sat Mar 8 14:07:09 PST 2014

On Saturday, 8 March 2014 at 20:50:49 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:

> Pretty much everyone using ICU hates it.

I think the biggest problem with ICU is documentation.  It can
take a long time to figure out how to do something if you've
never done it before.  Also, the C interface in ICU seems better
than the C++ interface.  And I'll grant that a few things are
just far harder than they need to be.  I wanted a transcoding
iterator and ICU almost has this but not quite, so I've got to
write my own.  In fact, iterating across an arbitrary encoding in
general is at least not intuitive and perhaps not possible.  I
kinda gave up on that.  Um, and using UTF-16 as the standard
encoding, requiring many transcoding operations to require two
conversions.  Okay, I guess there are a lot of problems with ICU,
but it handles nearly every requirement I have, which is in
itself quite a lot.