Proposal for fixing dchar ranges

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Mon Mar 10 08:11:23 PDT 2014

On Monday, 10 March 2014 at 15:01:54 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> That is already broken. What I'm looking to do is remove the
> cruft and "WTF" factor of the current state of affairs (an
> array that's not an array).
>
> Originally (in that long ago proposal) I had proposed to check
> for and disallow invalid slicing during runtime. In fact, it
> could be added if desired with the type defined by the library.

Broken as if in "you are not supposed to do it user code"? Yes.
Broken as in "does the wrong thing" - no. If your index is
properly calculated, it is no different from casting to ubyte[]
and then slicing. I am pretty sure even Phobos does it here and
there.