Proposal for fixing dchar ranges

John Colvin john.loughran.colvin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 14:02:08 PDT 2014

On Monday, 10 March 2014 at 20:52:27 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> What strings are already is a user-defined type,
>
> No, they are not.
>

>> but with horrible enforcement.
>
> With no enforcement, and that is by design.
>
> Keep in mind that D is a systems programming language, and that
> means unfettered access to strings.

I don't see how this proposal would limit that access. The raw
immutable(char)[] is still there, ready to be used just as always.

It seems like it fits the D ethos: safe and reasonably fast by
default, unsafe and lightning fast on request. (Admittedly a bad
wording, sometimes the fastest can still be safe)