ddox-generated Phobos documentation is available for review

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Mon Mar 10 15:50:53 PDT 2014

On Monday, 10 March 2014 at 22:28:11 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> On 3/10/14, 7:00 AM, Dicebot wrote:
>>> I still don't like disqus :)
>>
>> Are there better such systems available?
>>

> Yea, forum.dlang.org ;) And anything else that doesn't
> completely and totally break without JS.

A possible plan for forum.dlang.org integration:

1. Walter and Brad create a new newsgroup and mailing list
specifically for doc comments.
2. We have one thread per documentation page.
3. The relevant thread is displayed on each page via an iframe or
a JS snippet (with a noscript iframe fallback).

Downsides:

- Requires implementation effort, whereas Disqus is already there.
- Limited moderation support (although I don't imagine the
problem to be worse than now, and there is still room for
improvement with the current one).
- No formatting.
- No voting.
- (More Disqus advantages I forgot? I think the previous thread
had a few more.)

Benefits:

- We hold all data ourselves. If disaster strikes, the code is
open-source, I have backups, and Walter and Andrei have SSH
access.
- No JavaScript required.
- Forum, newsgroup and mailing list integration allows volunteers
to easily subscribe to new comments, and answer questions as they
are posted. As DFeed is also an IRC client, IRC notifications are
also possible.
- As the code is open-source, we can implement features that are
present in Disqus, or even features that Disqus doesn't have.
- Subjective, but hopefully we can come up with a less cluttered
interface. There's lots of elements which I think are
undesirable: "Share", "Favorite", the "vibe.d" link (what's that
for?), "Subscribe", "Add Disqus to your site", the "Disqus" logo,
"comments powered by Disqus".