Proposal for fixing dchar ranges

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Mon Mar 10 16:51:51 PDT 2014

> On Mon, 10 Mar 2014 17:52:05 -0400, Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com>
> wrote:
>> This also makes it a non-starter.
>
> You're the guardian of changes to the language, clearly holding a veto on any
> proposals. But this doesn't come across as very open-minded, especially from
> someone who wanted to do something that would change the fundamental treatment
> of strings last week.

I deserve that criticism. On the other hand, I've pretty much given up on fixing
std.array.front() because of that. In the last couple days, we also wound up
annoying a valuable client with some minor breakage with std.json, reiterating
how important it is to not break code if we can at all avoid it.

> IMO, breaking incorrect code is a good idea, and worth at least exploring.

Breaking broken code, yes.