[OT] Sony is making their Playstation C# tools open source

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Tue Mar 11 09:48:04 PDT 2014

Am 11.03.2014 11:45, schrieb Peter Alexander:
> On Tuesday, 11 March 2014 at 09:38:31 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
>> One good example how GC based languages do not hinder game development
>> and are gaining place alongside C++ as part of the development process.
>
> Yeah, but it's for tools, not the game itself. I don't think anyone ever
> said c# wasn't good for tools.

Sure, I agree with you.

But this is a recursive trend. Back when Assembly was king, BASIC, C and
Pascal were used for tooling, with Assembly having the king's role.

Then the same cycle repeated itself when C was the king and C++ was
slowly being used for tooling.

So now GC enabled languages are starting to replace C++/MFC/Qt in the
tooling area.

Eventually a new replacement cycle will happen, even if we are still
away from it.

--
Paulo