Broken?

Steve Teale steve.teale at britseyeview.com
Tue Mar 11 23:51:04 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 11 March 2014 at 22:24:15 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> On 3/11/2014 2:42 PM, Steve Teale wrote:
>>
>> Well if we're going there, we should go the whole hog and have
>> final,
>> direct, and virtual.
>
> Pardon my ignorance: What's 'direct'?
>
> > It's a system programming language, so you should
>> be able to walk down the street naked as long as you are
>> prepared to put
>> up with the consequences.
>
> There has been much debate in the programming community over
> what exactly "system programming language" means. I think you,
> sir, have found the winner! Gets my vote, anyway! :)

What I meant by final is simply the third leg of a tuffet. As I
understand it, final means called directly, and you can't
override, virtual means called through the vtable and you can
override, direct means called directly, but you can override
(hide) in a derived class, like if you define a method with the
same signature in a derived class in C++ when the base class
method is not marked as virtual.

I tried that with G++ the other day, and it still seems to
compile.

There may be other possibilities, I have not attempted to draw
the matrix table.

Steve