Recent discussion about discussions

Justin Whear justin at economicmodeling.com
Wed Mar 12 11:20:05 PDT 2014

On Wed, 12 Mar 2014 18:11:50 +0000, bossfong wrote:

> As a "new kid", I'm really baffled by by how much discussion in the
> developers scene is done in mailing lists.
> I strongly believe that mailing-lists are not suited for heated
> discussions on very specific issues. I even belive it's
> counter-productive when comparing the discussion flow with modern forum
> software.
> By modern forum software I mean discussion centric software like
> disqus[1].
>
> My appeal is it to switch to a more modern forum software (even though I
> value really much, that the current webforum is implemented in D).
>
> Is there anything specific holding us back?
>
> [1] http://disqus.com

I think most of us use email or newsreader software to participate, while
the forum frontend caters primarily to the more casual users.  I'm
curious why you think that mailing-lists are a counterproductive way of
handling this type of discussion, particularly when much of the OSS
developed in the last twenty years has been managed and coordinated using
mailing-lists.

Justin