Broken?

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Wed Mar 12 17:37:37 PDT 2014

On 3/11/14, 11:36 PM, Steve Teale wrote:
> On Tuesday, 11 March 2014 at 18:56:15 UTC, Indica wrote:
>> I'd like to point out that Walter and Andrei can't do it all
>> themselves. It takes a team and part of pulling it off is well defined
>> goals and job descriptions with devoted people.
>
> This is one of the motivations for my remark. They both have probably
> more tan enough to do without having to wade through the tremendous
> volume of responses.

I could use more tan, can't wait for the summer :o).

I'm glad you brought this up and that there was some good discussion
following it.

Walter is a very nice man. He dislikes saying "no" to people on account
of them getting mad at him or the language. So he'd rather not answer.

Lately we figured that's actually worse because it creates frustration
(the perception is the request/effort is ignored, not acknowledged and
declined). So we set to become more decisive about things. You may have
noticed in recent history that we started more often to set the foot on
the ground on one topic or another.

We hope that that is healthy for the community. It also means for us all
to accept the reality that in matters of judgment we can't always do
what others believe is best, and on occasion (hopefully not too often!)
even not what would objectively be the best decision. What I'd like us
to achieve and convey in future debates is that whatever decision we
make, we are making it in full understanding of all involved arguments.

The "perpetual design" stage of D has ended. We've made our bed, it's
time to lie in it. I foresee only one more area of possible breakage -
thread support, and hopefully only code that was already broken should
cease to compile.

Andrei