Final by default?

Joseph Cassman jc7919 at outlook.com
Wed Mar 12 22:08:24 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 13 March 2014 at 03:15:25 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:

>> I.e. the % of users who
>> wouldn't mind breaking changes is higher on the forum?
>
> I believe so, and I have many examples. Most people who don't
> hang out in the forum just want to get work done without
> minding every single language advocacy subtlety, and breakages
> prevent them from getting work done.
>

> Andrei

Yeah this pretty much defines me. I got other stuff to deal with
but am very interested in using D. Just can't devote much time to
make my voice heard that loudly on the forums.

 From my point of view, D2 already has such a good set of features
that it is sufficiently differentiated from the competition to
make it a compelling product as-is. If the implementation could
be polished to just work, that would help it to gain a reputation
of stability. That in turn would allow D to gain traction in
industry, publish a specification, build a third-party tooling
and library ecosystem, etc.

I applaud the restraint Walter and Andrei are showing in keeping
the implementation on track. I believe this is a win in the long
run. New features like final-by-default are good to consider. And
for that feature in particular, I think the reasoning backing it
up is compelling. But I say tabling it for consideration until
D-next is the way to go to win the race, rather than just the
sprint.

Joseph