std.json API broken without notice

Jakob Ovrum jakobovrum at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 01:15:02 PDT 2014

On Sunday, 9 March 2014 at 03:58:31 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> std.json broke backward compatibility, starting with
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/commit/1958c95666b0241d669d282806e4f724fbb37caf.
> There's even no notice in the changelog of the breakage, which
> is quite obvious by inspecting the diff.
>
> This is a serious matter because it broke production code. Was
> there a reason for the breakage? We should make sure breaking
> changes are avoided or get a lot of scrutiny if they are really
> necessary.
>
> I wonder how we can improve the process to avoid such issues in
> the future.
>

> Andrei

While this breakage was gratuitous, I would have expected
std.json to have this infamous warning by now:

"Warning: This module is considered out-dated and not up to
Phobos' current standards. It will remain until we have a
suitable replacement, but be aware that it will not remain long
term."

It's a pretty crap module and it's a fact that we are looking for
a replacement. Maybe this caused everyone involved to lower their
standard for proper unit tests and general scrutiny.