Final by default?

Andrej Mitrovic andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 01:16:38 PDT 2014

On 3/13/14, Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:
> I didn't even know about this client before the breakage.

I'm really getting tired of this argument. An unknown client (which
you still haven't named, so as far as I'm concerned it might as well
be just a reddit troll) comes out of the blue, complains about some
small breakage which can *easily* be fixed in a point release, and
suddenly that has to affect the decision on final by default. Also,
the client hasn't bothered to file a bug report, and 2.056 has been
released for a few weeks (nevermind the massively long beta cycle).

Why not do the obvious and just roll out the point release with the
std.json fixes?

I only see this as getting worse, however. I mean the whole idea of
client X deciding to ring up Andrei or Walter, NDAs to not disclose
their name, and make an executive decision on some language/phobos
feature.

Meanwhile, who's fixing the bugs and implementing features? People who
are not on a payroll. So I think we the community and the developers
have a right for a vote.