Final by default?

Rikki Cattermole alphaglosined at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 04:26:11 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 13 March 2014 at 11:14:56 UTC, Suliman wrote:
> A lot of people here are talking about C. They are saying that
> C almost do not have changes that had break compatibility and
> it's good. But people are forgot, that D is much more complex
> language then C is.
>
> Look at C#, it's had a lot of changes and it's become from
> stupid clone of Java very powerful and modern language.
>
> But also look at Python. Pythons are afraid about backward
> compatibility for a long time and as result we have 2
> incompatibility version 2.x and 3.x. And 3.x version was
> released 6 years ago (!).
>
> I understand that people do not like to fixing code, but it's
> better to fix most important things now, than to get pain in
> the future.
>
> IMHO.

+1

Great example is how in Python 3.x that pyglet which is highly
used for 3d games isn't really fully ported there. Although it
does work, mostly.
Or another example how PIL (Python Image Library) isn't ported in
any form to 3.x yet. In some ways Python is in a worse position
than D is for image libraries. Which is kinda scary.

But in saying this its bound to happen when there is money to
keep another major version updated.