Final by default?

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Thu Mar 13 09:41:52 PDT 2014

On 3/13/14, 9:23 AM, Daniel Murphy wrote:
> "Andrei Alexandrescu"  wrote in message
> news:lfsja8$1rom$1 at digitalmars.com...
>
>> After much deliberation, we believe we are right in our decision to
>> not make final the default.
>
> If I've absorbed the information correctly, you think the change is good
> but the breakage would be too large.

That is correct. If I did things over again, I'd probably favor
defaulting to final. However, it is my belief that this particular
design choice does not make nearly as dramatic a difference as some
people seem to believe.

> This thread has had people from several 'industry' D users stating that
> they do not have a problem with well planned breaking changes, and I'm
> not sure why you feel differently about this.

I have seen those messages as well. I have argued at length why I feel
differently about this, including how I see the numbers working in this
forum. As far as I can tell you are not convinced, so repeating those
arguments would not help.

> Why are you so sure this change is too much breakage to be acceptable?

I don't know how to answer this. Again, I can only assume that whatever
justification I reiterate it's unlikely to help any.

> Where exactly is the line between 'worth it' and 'too big'?

I know a guy who knows exactly where it is. He's a liar :o). This is
clearly a rhetorical question, but in this case I believe the change is
not worth it.

Andrei