Final by default?

Paolo Invernizzi paolo.invernizzi at no.address
Thu Mar 13 10:21:08 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 13 March 2014 at 16:41:32 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 3/13/14, 9:23 AM, Daniel Murphy wrote:
>
>> This thread has had people from several 'industry' D users
>> stating that
>> they do not have a problem with well planned breaking changes,
>> and I'm
>> not sure why you feel differently about this.
>
> I have seen those messages as well. I have argued at length why
> I feel differently about this, including how I see the numbers
> working in this forum. As far as I can tell you are not
> convinced, so repeating those arguments would not help.

I think that this it's a bit unfair.

Just to be clear, we have committed a lot of money and effort in
the D programming language, "smelling" years ago that it could be
a competitive advantage over other choices.

Told that, I'm following the forum as this is by far the best way
to reinforce of undermine my past decision (and sleep well at
night!)
That why I think that, IMHO, companies that adopted D "seriously"
are present here, and are lurking.

Just to give a perspective, we are not so big like Sociomantic
but we are making some $M, so for us the decision was not a joke.

And to be honest what it's really scaring it's not the frequency
of the "planned improvement" of the language, but that a feeling
turned  "a solid piece of evidence" [1] into smoke. Today is
virtual, tomorrow how knows?

That's my feedback for the community, and for the two leaders.

- Paolo

[1]
http://forum.dlang.org/thread/yzsqwejxqlnzryhrkfuq@forum.dlang.org?page=23#post-koo65g:241nqs:242:40digitalmars.com