Recent discussion about discussions

bossfong bossfong at posteo.de
Thu Mar 13 11:12:16 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 12 March 2014 at 18:20:05 UTC, Justin Whear wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Mar 2014 18:11:50 +0000, bossfong wrote:

>> I even belive it's
>> counter-productive when comparing the discussion flow with
>> modern forum
>> software.
>
> I think most of us use email or newsreader software to
> participate, while
> the forum frontend caters primarily to the more casual users.

I understand that. But since the newsgroup seems to me to be the
only way to stay up-to-date with D's development, I think it
should be more open to casual developers.
I mean, there seem to be so many saying, there are too little
people willing to do the work, we must start opening up for new
developers to join in. They won't just magically start
developing. Being able to take part in duscussions is essential
for that.
(And I unerstand everyone is technically able to take part in the
discussions, but for someone who is not used to mailing lists it
is quite a burden getting used to it, at least thats my
feeling/experience).

> I'm
> curious why you think that mailing-lists are a
> counterproductive way of
> handling this type of discussion,

This shows a probblem that annoys me a lot. I never said that,
you just cut out the "when comparing to..." part and that twists
the meaning of what I said. That's (to me) a no-go.

> particularly when much of the OSS
> developed in the last twenty years has been managed and
> coordinated using
> mailing-lists.
>
> Justin

Only because things have been a particular way for years or even
decades, doesn't mean there might be better alternatives.
Technology evolves and the people creating it should too.