Final by default?

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Thu Mar 13 11:41:49 PDT 2014

On 3/13/14, 11:03 AM, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
> On 3/13/14, Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote:
>> There must be a way to convey that a decision has been made. It is
>> understood it won't please everybody, just like going the other way
>> won't please everybody. Please let me know what that way is.
>
> Voting.

Voting is for making a decision, not for conveying it. Voting in
programming design matters has two issues:

1. Representation: the set of people on the D forum is too informal a
representative. International standardization bodies do use voting, but
their framework is considerably more formal (not to mention they have
their own liabilities).

2. There's the danger of getting into a design-by-committee rut.

Andrei