Recent discussion about discussions

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 13 11:42:37 PDT 2014

On Thu, 13 Mar 2014 14:36:24 -0400, Walter Bright
<newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> On 3/13/2014 11:04 AM, bossfong wrote:
>> Although it might sound very much like a Facebook fanboy, I would
>> really like to
>> have a way to agree to a post/someones opinion without having to go
>> through the
>> (to me tedious) process of writing a reply.
>> I also think this would get rid of the "+1" posts, which I find to be
>> annoying.
>> Another reason why I think a Like/Thanks/Upvote/whateveryouwanttocallit
>> feature
>> would be helpfully is the following:
>
> I would also like a voting system, much like what reddit has. The
> downside is such a system can easily be gamed. I know reddit has stuff
> in place to blunt gaming, and such may be beyond our resources to do (it
> requires constant attention).

That may be one reason to use a pre-existing forum software.

My opinion is that we can put in a voting system, but require the person
to have an account on forum.dlang.org to vote once. It doesn't have to be
perfect.

Note that a voting system does not need to be tied to any kind of
moderation. It can be simply informational.

-Steve