Recent discussion about discussions

John Stahara john.stahara+dlang at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 14:16:43 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 12 March 2014 at 18:20:05 UTC, Justin Whear wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Mar 2014 18:11:50 +0000, bossfong wrote:
>
>> As a "new kid", I'm really baffled by by how much discussion
>> in the
>> developers scene is done in mailing lists.
>> I strongly believe that mailing-lists are not suited for heated
>> discussions on very specific issues. I even belive it's
>> counter-productive when comparing the discussion flow with
>> modern forum
>> software.
>> By modern forum software I mean discussion centric software
>> like
>> disqus[1].
>>
>> My appeal is it to switch to a more modern forum software
>> (even though I
>> value really much, that the current webforum is implemented in
>> D).
>>
>> Is there anything specific holding us back?
>>
>> [1] http://disqus.com
>
> I think most of us use email or newsreader software to
> participate, while
> the forum frontend caters primarily to the more casual users.
> I'm
> curious why you think that mailing-lists are a
> counterproductive way of
> handling this type of discussion, particularly when much of the
> OSS
> developed in the last twenty years has been managed and
> coordinated using
> mailing-lists.
>
> Justin

Funny thing: I, another somewhat "new kid," didn't actually
realize that the web forum was the "second-class" citizen here.
I could see some vestiges of NNTP heritage from e.g. the message
URLs, but I'd subconsciously ignored that as simply a historical
carry-over.  I'd have used a proper reader from the beginning had
I known there was an actual newsgroup behind it.  The existence
(and quality) of the web forum actually prevented me from knowing
about the superior interfaces available!

(Yes, it's embarrassingly obvious in hindsight, of course.)

--jjs