Plugins and D programs

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Thu Mar 13 16:44:22 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 13 March 2014 at 13:22:55 UTC, Steve Teale wrote:
> One of the primary uses of dynamic loading of libraries might
> well be to provide plugins. By plugins I mean extensions to an
> existing program that can be added to the program at run-time,
> and can be written by separate authors who don't necessarily
> have access to the source code of the program, but who do
> understand the rules provided by the program documentation as
> to what capabilities the plugin must have.

It might be purely a matter of historic interest at this point,
but DDL was basically doing plugins in D ages ago:

http://www.dsource.org/projects/ddl

I /think/ this was the dynamic loading scheme h3r3tic used in his
game engine back in the day.  I'm sure someone with a better
memory than me could explain it better.