Final by default?

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Thu Mar 13 23:29:32 PDT 2014

On 3/13/2014 8:56 PM, Manu wrote:
> It does nothing to prevent the library case,

I addressed that in another post here, i.e. I'm very skeptical of the notion
that a large code base built with no attempt at writing fast code is going to
get fast with merely this change. I don't buy that high performance code comes
by accident. If you wish to debate this, though, please reply to my other post
on the topic, which expounds with more detail.

 > or the don't-early-optimise case of implying breaking changes in the future.

Optimizing code often involves breaking the interface. For example, the
existence or absence of a destructor can have dramatic differences in the code
generated. (Even very experienced C++ coders are often unaware of this.)