Recent discussion about discussions

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Fri Mar 14 02:12:46 PDT 2014

On Friday, 14 March 2014 at 09:03:02 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> As of this very moment, my NNTP client (Thunderbird) shows
> there are 5 messages unread in the left treeview
> (http://imgur.com/KHnjcnU), and displays in a simple list all
> 223871 messages ever posted in digitalmars.D with the most
> recent 5 messages at the top and in bold text
> (http://imgur.com/uJ2UdzA). As I select each of those unread
> messages, their bold disappears (they become read). If I get
> bored and want to mark all news as read, there's a button that
> does that (or I could select some and mark as read etc).
>
> I use threaded views for e.g. github discussions because once a
> pull is merged, I archive them all in one shot. But a flat view
> is a very simple and effective way of staying abreast of what's
> going on in the forum. Again, I feel I'm missing something
> given that I'm the only one asking for such.

In the horizontal-split mode, you can press the space bar to jump
to the next unread message. Does that help? Or is it imperative
that messages are displayed chronologically, without threading?

Unfortunately there's currently no way to mark all messages in a
group as read (a technical restriction due to how read messages
are stored).