Compiler updating user code

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 05:42:08 PDT 2014

On 14 March 2014 22:31, John Colvin <john.loughran.colvin at gmail.com> wrote:

> I appreciate it would be convenient, but changing compiler versions and
> patching up the code is a major enough update to justify a branch IMO, let
> alone just a commit or stash.
>
> Anyway, I don't think it matters that much either way.
>
> Admittedly my experience is limited to git and mercurial, both of which
> deal with these sorts of situations trivially.

You may be right. I just thought of it as a solution to a suggestion that
comes up frequently, but is considered obnoxious by some people.
DMD is no stranger out outputting files beside the compilation output, like
the .json file for instance. I would personally find the patch approach
convenient, and it could subvert some other issues, like what if there is
no write access to the source tree?