Recent discussion about discussions

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 14 06:57:24 PDT 2014

On Fri, 14 Mar 2014 02:46:05 -0400, Walter Bright
<newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

>> That may be one reason to use a pre-existing forum software.
>
> It still requires constant attention.
>
> We are not moving away from Vladimir's forum software. It is very fast,
> it integrates seamlessly with netnews while providing common forum
> behaviors, etc. And, it provides a premium example of kick-ass software
> written in D.

I don't disagree, my point was merely if you want voting, and you don't
want to reinvent the anti-gaming mechanisms, using another software would
be a plausible option.

I personally don't think "gaming" the vote makes much sense. In the D
forums, posts quickly fade from memory. If you want to "game" the votes, I
don't see what that buys you when nobody remembers that post next week
(sometimes even tomorrow!)

> I've never used any forum software that is better (including Reddit).
> Reddit blows because there's no indication of which comments have been
> read and which have not, making it very tedious to monitor one thread
> over a period of time.

Reddit sucks. I personally like disqus for real-time discussion. It has a
system of flagging new posts that have appeared while you were sitting
there.

I would love to see d forums have more live-update features. It would make
it more like a Newsgroup, where you don't have to refresh to see new
things, posts just show up when they are posted.

-Steve