Compiler updating user code

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.ca
Fri Mar 14 16:57:00 PDT 2014

On 2014-03-14 21:36:56 +0000, Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> said:

> On 2014-03-14 20:26, Michel Fortin wrote:
>
>> Makes me think, instead of generating patches or altering code, we could
>> take the clang approach and simply suggest fixes during compilation.
>> This is what suggested fixes looks like in clang:
>
> I don't really think this is the same. It also adds a lot work since
> the isn't making the actual change.

It's giving you all the data needed to make the change.

If Xcode can parse this output and patch your code with one click in
the editor, then you can also build a tool parsing the output and
generating those patches automatically, as long as there's no ambiguity
about the fix. Or if there's ambiguity, you could have an interactive
command line tool ask how you want it patched.

The only difference is the UI around the compiler.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.ca
http://michelf.ca