Final by default?

Daniel Murphy yebbliesnospam at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 01:50:15 PDT 2014

"Walter Bright"  wrote in message news:lg0vtc$2q94$1 at digitalmars.com...

> I find it peculiar to desire a 'final accessor'. After all,
>
>      class C {
>          int x;
>          final int getX() { return x; } <= what the heck is this function
> for?
>      }

Yeah, it's stupid, but people do it all over the place anyway.

> It's a major breaking change. It'll break nearly every D program out there
> that uses classes.

This is nonsense.  I tried out the warning on some of my projects, and they
required ZERO changes - because it's a warning!

Phobos requires 37 "virtual:"s to be added - or just change the makefile to
use '-wi' instead of '-w'.  Druntime needed 25.

We don't even need to follow the usual 6-months per stage deprecation - We
could leave it as a warning for 2 years if we wanted!

Grepping for class declarations and sticking in "virtual:" is as trivial as
a fix can possibly be.