Final by default?

develop32 develop32 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 04:14:04 PDT 2014

On Saturday, 15 March 2014 at 08:50:00 UTC, Daniel Murphy wrote:
> This is nonsense.  I tried out the warning on some of my
> projects, and they required ZERO changes - because it's a
> warning!
>
> Phobos requires 37 "virtual:"s to be added - or just change the
> makefile to use '-wi' instead of '-w'.  Druntime needed 25.
>
> We don't even need to follow the usual 6-months per stage
> deprecation - We could leave it as a warning for 2 years if we
> wanted!
>
> Grepping for class declarations and sticking in "virtual:" is
> as trivial as a fix can possibly be.

When virtual keyword was introduced in Github master I
immediately went to add a bunch of "virtual" in my projects...
only to find myself done after few minutes.

I see some irony in the fact that if classes are made
final-by-default, removing all the unnecessary "final" attributes
would be an order of magnitude longer task.