Final by default?

Francesco Cattoglio francesco.cattoglio at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 09:36:53 PDT 2014

I don't think that the virtual-by-default is the most important
aspect of the language, so I can live with it (even if I strongly
dislike it). What actually scares me is this:

On Saturday, 15 March 2014 at 11:59:41 UTC, Marco Leise wrote:

> One message that this sends out is that a proposal, even with
> almost complete lack of opposition, an in-depth discussion,
> long term benefits and being in line with the language's goals
> can be turned down right when it is ready to be merged.

A decision was taken, being backed by several people, work had
begun (yebbiles pulls) and now the proposal gets reverted out of
the blue.
Somehow makes me wonder how the future of D is decided upon. To
me, it really feels like it's made by last-second decisions. I
think it can really make a bad impression to newcomers.

> I neither see a small vocal faction intimidating (wow!) the
> leadership, nor do I see a dictate of the majority.
Agree. But I think that the "vocal faction intimidating" was just
a horrible choice of words, with no harmful intent. Just like the
"But we nearly lost a major client over it." used at the begin of
the thread.