null dereference

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Mar 15 16:18:42 PDT 2014

On Saturday, March 15, 2014 10:34:39 Ary Borenszweig wrote:
> On 3/15/14, 8:25 AM, bearophile wrote:
> > luka8088:
> >> I was thinking and I am not sure about the reason for not having some
> >> king of safeguard for null dereferencing in version(assert)/debug builds.
> >
> > Eventually reference deference in D will be guarded by an assert in
> > non-release builds. This desire is a raising tide that eventually can't
> > be stopped.
> >
> > Bye,
> > bearophile
>
> Really? I thought Walter was against this. He always says you can fire
> up a debugger and check where the dereference occurred.

He is against it. Very much so. Maybe it'll happen at some point, but the
entire basis for Bearophile's assertion that it's going to happen appears to
be simply the fact that many folks want it. And yes, that might eventually
sway Walter, but it's far from guaranteed, and honestly, I'd be surprised if
it happened.

- Jonathan M Davis