null dereference

Francesco Cattoglio francesco.cattoglio at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 05:35:14 PDT 2014

On Saturday, 15 March 2014 at 23:23:04 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> I believe that there was some work done to make it so that
> druntime would
> detect a segfault and print a stacktrace when that happens, but
> it's not
> enabled normally, and I don't know quite what state it's in.
> That would
> probably be the ideal solution though, since it gives you the
> stacktrace
> without requiring additional checks.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

I read some _very_ old threads, and apparently a null dereference
raised an exception only on Windows, while on linux it still
needed work to be implemented properly. Things probably changed a
lot in the mean time, but I think the default behaviour should be
"throw an exception" on every platform. A core dump with zero
extra info is bad. I don't care if 95% of times you can fire up a
debugger and find out what happened. This is not something that
can be always done.