TLBB: The Last Big Breakage

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sun Mar 16 08:32:55 PDT 2014

On Sun, 2014-03-16 at 16:05 +0100, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
[…]
> You'll end up in the same situation as Python 3. Most people will not
> only keep existing code, but continue to write *more of it*. By the
> time the "compatibility profile" is removed, it's going to become 100x
> harder to change all of that code, which means nobody will do it.

Python 2 should be expunged from the planet, it is going to be the only
way of getting people to stop writing more Python 2 code that doesn't
work under Python 3.

Java has the same problem in that there are people out there still
running Java 1.4 just as Java 8 is about hit the streets. All JVM
instances prior to JDK8 should self-annihilate on 2013-03-31.

Whilst I agree large live systems do have to have carefully managed
change, I think D is not in the same backward compatibility game as
Python and Java. A big breaking change now is going to be much, much
less pain than storing up problems for later. But I already said that in
my earlier post. I guess I am just trying to bias the vote… ;-)

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk