Assault & battery on pull requests

monarch_dodra monarchdodra at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 15:10:49 PDT 2014

On Sunday, 16 March 2014 at 21:46:09 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:

> Thanks,
>
> Andrei

True dat. Every reviewer helps, and keeping the pipeline low
helps. In particular, it creates a sinergy where the better the
faster we pull, the faster quality submissions come in, which is
awesome.

----

But.... To all the "expert reviewers" out there (myself
included): Let's try to be "productive" in our reviews, and try
to keep a broader "big picture" view on the pulls.

1° First: Check the design is correct.
2° THEN: Check the implementation is correct.
3° FINALLY: (optionally) Check the style is correct.

Doing this in the wrong order usually means wasted effort, and/or
extra useless noise in the review. Furthermore, it can aggravate
the original submitter, who went through the effort of fixing
every implementation detail, just see his work rejected because
of the concept (for example, the "tee" range...).

And go easy on style. The result noise of arguing over style
usually outweighs its benefits. If it works, and doesn't break
the style rules, then let's just merge and move on (IMO).